Wednesday, March 25, 2009

In My Mind

In my mind
I see you,
see your face close up,
eyes looking into the place
where love lives.

You see the gifts forgotten there,
put away from greedy children,
and their impatient grasping.

Open the music box at midnight
where tin strips pluck notes of an ancient song
as you turn a tendril of my hair
at the nape of my neck.
Let it drop to the pillow
like a feather
and I will give you
everything.

I will bring armfuls of daisies,
white diamonds and gold
of early summer,
patterns of beauty quilted
in small stitches
of laughter,

and cups overflowing
with the sweetest wine
of surrender.

I can barely contain
the image of you
in my memory
and find it impossible
to draw a line
between the past
imprint of your hand
on the small of my back
and the sound of your voice
that makes my body quake
with joy.

Take this love away
breath by breath,
hour by hour,
as if it is the only gift
I have left to give.

No comments: