Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Traveling North

Nobody knows
I’m waiting with a stranger
at the end of love,
holding his hand
just to remember
anything warm.

When the train
to tomorrow arrives
at this station
I will get on,
hand him a note
explaining everything
and the address
to my rented room
at the end of my journey.

It will be enough
to kiss him farewell.

I could die
holding on to the arm
of this belief system
where everyone obeys gravity
and the passing of another season
without noticing
that I have left my body.

At the end of the night
where Jasmine perfumes
my tongue into silence
I will remember the skin
of the stranger’s hand
pressed to my human palm
and know that kindness
is coming to find me
in the new place
where the unlikely landscape
of forgiveness breaks all laws
of my nature.

This pardon won’t last forever
so I’ll not wait
for the signs or stars
to direct me.

I am done arguing
with regret tonight
as I step clear
of the platform
to travel north.

No comments: