Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Into The Fields

We won’t go there today
into the fields
where the grasses and flowers of summer are brown
and escaping the light and the impermanence of green.
We won’t go to the places where dragonflies hover
and dart into the sky with purpose.

No,
today we hide
near the fire,
burrow into each other
like the two small and wild birds we are,
come home to nest, before the winds
start howling again and we are lost
from each others’ song.

Your feathers glisten
next to the faded seasons I carry.
I close my eyes only when I must rest
and when I stretch my neck to smooth my cheek
against the layers of softness you offer this longing.

When the sun returns,
or perhaps under the bright waning moon,
we will fly together again over the spaces
where you first found me
balancing on a stem of burdock
and considering the possibilities of flight.

No comments: