Saturday, June 16, 2012

Cool Wisdom

The luxury of attraction
is an experience layered
with emotion settling into the stony decay
of gravel and sand
and finally the fine mist
of the body that wakes to water
and explodes with thunder

the electricity of clouds
and heat and the horizon meeting
shocking even at the most extraordinary times.

Solstice of summer,
the beginning of the end,

 is just around the corner
and the sweltering gasps of humidity
wrap endlessly around my legs
and stick in my throat
where a common sigh
or simple melody
might suggest
relief.

Hoping for nothing,
I stretch my arms above my head
hoping for some cool wisdom
to descend on my soul;

I have found this intuition
in stranger positions.

If you were that man,
the one sitting with the books
looking smart and kind,

I might walk up to you
at your table
and reintroduce myself to you.
Shock myself at new boldness.
Invite you out for lunch
at a park,
of for a swim at twilight,
or start to tell you all the stories
I have saved for just this chance
not to fall,
but instead
to rise above myself,

fully awake.





No comments: