Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The Day After I Die


Now that my father is gone from all suffering
and sleeps in the roots of the Norway pine
on the land that he loved,
I have started to imagine the questions
my children will have
the day after I die.

Imagine the secret life in the gardens
and stormy hours of a guilty mind,
dark and flashing in the night sky with fear,
 
all the disappointments
creaking around in the attic
of my home,
and dust we call the body,
they will never know.  

There is a black and broken trunk in the basement
and a few boxes of letters in the eaves
that might help them understand,
an album, a few photos, and journals
with the names of strangers, poems,
and lovers they never knew.

The day after I die
they will start to tell the real stories
of the ways I loved them,
sang them to sleep,
 
and failed them
with my disappointments
and misguided men, 

made the rafters of their hearts
heave with heat and the motion
of a living homestead 
that they will come back to
when they have no place else to go.

No comments: