Sunday, January 7, 2024

Snow (finally)

 Snow (finally)


It is quiet and fresh
like it is only when it snows 
fat, fluffy snowflakes finally arriving 
in January
after Epiphany.

We all wonder 
knowing this is way too late
to wassail
and sing love songs
toasting the trees,

but after the collection of floods
and the heat of summer
we take this miracle 
and hum to ourselves
like perfect amnesia,

welcoming the silence
like monks
on a Christmas morning.

Suddenly, my skittish cat yowls
outside my bedroom door
shivering from the exile of the night.
Her rooster ritual
shakes my limbic core
as she intends.
I throw off the comforter,
pausing my pen,
to give her acknowledgment
and access to my cell.

Satisfied with the return to routine
the feline purrs, then leaps,
onto the window sill to observe,

marveling at this swirling meditation,
answered prayer for substantial winter,

somehow, 
a common revelation
in this unusual time.

No comments: