Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Eyes Wide Open On A Snowy Night

Behind the wheel on a snowy night
I see beyond the blur in the lights,
to pine covered with downy feathers,
to the technicolor places in my body
that light up when I least expect it.
The headlights fade in this color.
The headlights can’t touch the darkness
like this rainbow in front of me.

I am never known by the thinking mind
but only in the body. That is how you found me
that ordinary day in some ugly office
waiting for the rest of your life
to happen. You tuned in to something beautiful
you didn’t know could exist in one body
and you wanted to be a gardener cultivating kindness,
you wanted to be a healer coaxing life into bloom,
you wanted to curl yourself comforted near
the deepest places next to the heat of this soul.

I imagine myself on this winter night
where whiteness wants to cover my tracks
flying into the skies on my own enormous wings.
They have been growing in my dream world
and in the places where the mind cannot follow logic.
It is the heart place that has encouraged this fledgling to stretch
her wings and find a long high meadow to soar.

Put on the leather gloves that will protect your painted arms
so that I might launch all of myself from that strong and safe place.
I don’t need a tether or a mask that covers my eyes.
I am awake and ready and the falconer is my protector here.
I will come back to you
after each flight
with the panorama
of the horizon
in the stories
and the poetry
we dare
to love.

No comments: