Monday, May 21, 2012

The Names of God

I wander into the temple again
looking for love 
in the face of my neighbor.

I am the lover
looking for my beloved
and can only see
a glimpse of that brilliant face
through the crowds of people
who need so much from me.

I am nearly lost on my way
to the altar of this longing
and am discouraged that I will never
be invited to join in the dancing
at the celebration of simple,
abundant joy.

I call out  all the names of God
in the cacophony
of so much suffering and fear
and can only hear singing.

It is my Lord
and my hand is no longer empty.

My heart is full
of the sound
of the voices of angels
and blessed ones
who touch me
when I need to remember
I am not alone.

I chant
my prayers
holding beads
strung together
like notes on the pages
of a Sunday hymnal.

No comments: