Friday, March 27, 2020

This Simple Prayer


Let me be tender tonight
and release my hold on the world
that cannot be held.

Let me surrender tonight
and let desire cry for my attention
in each sacred moment
of looking at the flames and confusion
and picking up words with gentle hands
to share in a poem like communion
 or a call from a beloved friend
that chants in earnest to God
and all the angels.

Let the subtle work of silence
consecrate my mind and lift my heavy heart
toward the most holy light we’ve ever seen
in the faces of the others around us
as we become family begging for more.

Let me place my hands palm to palm
resting on the edge of my bed,
quilt soft and colors fading,
and pray the prayers of a lonely child,

I will be sated with simple words
that tell of the truth of love that lives
in the eyes of a stranger
and in the songs of the children
I have always loved.

No comments: