Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Odyssey of Waiting


Thoughts aflutter,
mind restless and feeling cooped up,
I settle on a jaunt down Sunset Lake Road
to loosen my knotted head.

I swing my arms to free the riddle
of wanting to organize the spaces and time
gone wild with meddlesome clutter.

The floor covered with sorted papers
and one too many unused printers,
gifts to be given at some unknown celebration,
wrapping paper left abandoned by my daughter
like a shipwreck of white and gold,
and the cards and letters never written
to a forgotten sweetheart or father and mother
passed away.

All these must go into files or to my son’s new apartment,
to the recycling or 2nd hand stores to peddle unmercifully to others
so they might lounge on someone else’s shelves
an odyssey of waiting
only to stop the madness
of what could be
hoarding
everything sacred
if left to no devices. 

Move like a woman with purpose
to any pinnacle on this journey
but to the heap that will not be quenched
by shuffling to a new corner. 

My nervous memory
prompts me to pitch everything overboard
and start fresh as some new fiddle tune
at the summer Solstice contra dance.


No comments: