Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Force of Love

Your story about the hip of the woman
stretched out, sleeping next to you
is hiding in the corner of my mind this morning.
I call to her from this rocking chair
wondering where she’s gone to
in her too quiet play.
You said you put your mind
to that fleshy place—
a healing mind that brought warmth
and the tingle of life to those curves
you attach yourself to.
No wonder you prefer that place
with the strong arms that enclose you in embrace.
I have nothing to offer you
from the drafty attic of the ghost I am becoming.

The force of love isn’t what we all think it is—
hearts with the richness of the darkest chocolate
rolling on our tongues, fragrant fruit or the swoon
of red wine, a hand
brushing a wisp of hair
from the flushed cheek, replaced
instead by long kisses
leading to the bed of shared grace.
No, that is not what you would find in this sanctuary,
empty of any warm prophecy,
only the flight of the soul exiting the vessel
again and again, night after night alone.

You comfort me,
patting my shoulder with your words,
kind with the reminders you are witness to this leaving.
Sometimes I think you might like to join me,
book passage on the same steamer
across the great waters of time.

But then there are those hips
and the gatherings around the fires
that draw you back
to the recognition of the healing of laughter
and the promises of more
made to your children.

I close my eyes to that longing, the tightening
fist around the thing not offered to me,
and begin to sing another song.
This song sends what is left of my generosity
to encircle your head with the crown
to my small, yet royal, domain.
Here I can offer you
the remains of the riches
I have gathered
and must now leave behind.

This kind of love
is the only inheritance you or I
will ever require for that safe passage
past the gates of forever.
The apple orchards blooming
with delight as we enter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow: you're a very passionate, expressive poet, Leigh

makes one want to know much more about you

may green grass and apple blossoms always
waft from the words in your heart...

P-