Monday, November 5, 2007

Unbreakable

In this new body
I descend the familiar stairway
into hell again,
past the snake of temptation,
sharing the secret password
only snakes can know--
Eve’s lesson still fresh
in my mind.

In this new body
I gladly walk the plank,
swan diving,
back flipping,
into the depths of redemption
pulling hard at this thick water
toward the pearl
hidden from my view,
my lungs filled
with the heat of holding
until my face can break surface,
gasping for just one more
bite of sweetness.

In this new body
I am learning to strip myself
naked of fear,
bind my feet first.
then hands together,
with faith in knowing
the oncoming locomotive of future.
In this speeding light
and trembling place
I lay my willing nature
down on these tracks
waiting under calm
for this accident
to release me.

The planets know this body of light
like a sister. They have orbited
my soul for a million millennia,
watching this cycle,
this rebirth like late night reruns,
sleepy in the artificial light
of illusion, faces glowing blue
through the windows of the universe.
They are tired and waiting for real rest to come
or for the surprise of something new
to watch.

In this new body
smoking fresh from the fire of creation,
crawling, clawing, with my nails dirty,
embedded with the earth,
I gather the remains of wise old blood,
compassionate flame,
struck new again
to light the way
of a new set of footprints.

And what of my love for you, sweetness?
What I would give to exchange
just one true kiss.
From this place of passion
I would turn us to stone,
frozen in time,
longing finally captured,
contained in the unmoving
marble of these two
unbreakable hearts.

No comments: