Sunday, May 6, 2012

Driving Directions

I get behind the wheel
without thinking
of anything but getting there.

Getting to the places
that the road takes me
and where I do
what must be done.

Groceries, soccer games,
school drop off,
pick up,
laundry,
library,
the endless days
of work,
and film
at the drug store.

My gaze
is at the pavement
and the lines that direct traffic
but my heart is tracking all the ways
I travel toward the blessings
of loving kindness
found everywhere
and in every turn
of my day.

Prayers in my first cup of coffee,
in the baptism of the morning shower,
in the stretching of my body in Sun Salute,
in the seaglass reflecting color
at eye level and in view from my rocking chair,
and all the ways language speaks the alphabet
of joy in each moment; each day.

Tonight I am road weary
and my blurred vision
crosses the center line
of consciousness. 
Give me driving directions,
and let all the angels
whisper them to me,
so that I might find my way
home again.

There are so many beautiful roads
to take  and I must journey
toward the long way
there and back again.

No comments: